Sunday, August 30, 2015

Wood trim - "A touch of class"!

More work to add wood trims to cupboards in my cabin. Why not?

1/ Context
Long ago I worked and lived for 10 years in Rwanda. To my design, I had a wood working shop make a dinning table set (table and chairs) plus a sofa set (with leather cushions) out of "Libuyu" a very nice looking red wood that grows in many regions of tropical Africa. The wood was a special order that I made to a sawmill which at the time was exploiting trees in what has now become the Nyungwe National Park.

2/ Wikipedia: "Libuyu" (Rwanda, RDC)
Entandrophragma cylindricum, commonly known as the sapele or sapelli (/səˈpiːliː/ sə-pee-lee), is a large tree native to tropical Africa. There are protected populations and felling restrictions in place in various countries. The commercially important wood is reminiscent of mahogany, a member of the same family, with a distinctive figure, typically applied where figure is important.
Tree Size: 100-150 ft (30-45 m) tall, 3-5 ft (1-1.5 m) trunk diameter

3/ Getting the Libuyu to Switzerland
When I left Rwanda, I shipped my belongings to Europe in a 20" container and included many boards of libuyu that I had ordered "extra". Some of these were later used to make bookshelves in my Swiss home.
Some boards stayed in my garage for 21 years until I could find a good use for them.
.     => My Land Roamer will be the perfect place!

Here are my boards and see what they will become!